Popular Posts

Monday, January 27, 2014

Becoming a birth doula

After graduating high school, I had my mind set on nursing school to become a pediatric nurse. I ended up going to our local state college, and they jerked me around with the classes, and it was taking forever, so I got really frustrated and thought that it wasn't meant to be. I then went on to early childhood education, because I really want to work with babies or children. I got to the point of doing the student teaching, and I HATED IT!!!! I wanted to rip my hair out, those poor kids. It was probably because I was pregnant and annoyed with everything, so I stopped with the teaching and went back to nursing. I did online classes the rest of my pregnancy and then after having Daniel I finished the classes. I planned to go back to school in person when he was 4 months old....that didn't happen. 

While trying to decide what I wanted to do, I thought about so many things. I wanted to be a lactation consultant, to help other moms the way I needed help. And then I came across a Birth Doula.. Jackpot! I immediately got the books to read, got my membership and began my certification process. 

So far, I love it! I feel so connected to this and cannot wait to start supporting women throughout their birthing experience. 

I attend a birth workshop for three days in the middle of June, and then will link up with a Doula in my area to observe live births. I'm so excited!

I will keep posting updates of my progress as I go about this journey! I am so looking forward to becoming certified.

A word of advice... If you are unsure of what to do as a career, don't rush it! The perfect opportunity will come to you when God feels it is right. I rushed it, and ended up being jolted around so much that I have enough credits for a degree, but they are so opposite that it doesn't count! Be patient, and focus on what is in your life now. You will find your calling when it is the right time. 


2 comments:

  1. I had a Doula for the birth of my daughter and I loved it! I will definitely be having her attend the birth of my next child as well! Your doing something amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I would have had one for my sons birth. I'm looking forward to it :)

      Delete