Popular Posts

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Things I hate to hear...

As a breastfeeding mom, I have heard endless amounts of comments from others. I came across this blog post and could not agree more. It is very hurtful when people ask these sorts of questions, or make statements towards me about it. I would never judge anyone for formula feeding, so I don't see why anyone would do so to a breastfeeding mother.

Some of the remarks that I have gotten would be such:

1) You should supplement with formula so he can get used to it for when you're not around or that I can feed him.

-In the beginning of our BF journey, I was having a hard time with the demand of things. I fell into the trap of supplementing (only a couple of times) and really regretted it. It is somewhat insulting to hear that, first of all, because I hardly ever leave him. Second, why does it have to be formula that everyone suggests? Why can't other people be familiar with a breast pump? If the mother chooses to exclusively breast feed, respect her choice and do not be selfish asking to feed the child. There are other ways to bond besides giving a bottle.

2) You're still breastfeeding?

-Yes, I am. And I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I understand that people are curious and want to know how he is being fed, however there are other ways to ask.. Such as "I see you're still BFing, thats great! How long do you plan on going for?" People don't realize when they make that statement how it comes out of their mouth and it is sometimes rude.

3) He nurses all the time, your milk must not be filling.

- My milk is filling. There are other reasons for nursing constantly. Such as for comfort or a growth spurt. Breastfed babies rely on their mommies for everything, so there is nothing wrong with nursing all day. In the beginning, thats how it has to be for your milk supply to build. Completely normal.

4) When are you giving him cows milk?

-Um, when he stops breastfeeding. I plan on letting him self wean. The World Health Organization recommends on breastfeeding until AT LEAST two years old, and letting the child wean naturally. I have full intentions of letting Daniel do just that. Therefor, there is no need for cows milk. And if you didn't know, cows milk is breast milk for COWS! Who would have thought?!

5) Breastfeeding past the age of one is just weird. 

- No, it is completely natural. Like I said earlier, I would never judge anyone on how they feed their child, so I hate hearing this remark when I say I plan on letting him self wean. If you have nothing nice to say, please keep your mouth closed.


I suggest for anyone that is not familiar with breastfeeding, to educate yourself before you talk to a nursing mom. There is so much information out there and a couple of minutes of reading could really open your eyes. That being said, here is the link for the blog post.

If you're reading this and are a formula feeding mother, go you. If you are a breastfeeding mother, great. A baby fed with love shouldn't matter how he/she is being fed. And next time you see a mom nursing, either give her a compliment for she has probably had many struggles, or keep moving.


No comments:

Post a Comment