Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Food for baby!

When Daniel was almost 6 months old, we started introducing solid food. I had made up my mind that I was going to make all of his food myself, instead of buying pre-made. I use the Beba Baby Cook for when I was pureeing his foods, but now that he is self feeding, I make everything in the oven or on the stove. He's a great eater, and prefers vegetables over everything.

I thought I would share some of our favorite recipes that I have made. I feel that making baby food is so much better. Not only do I know what my baby is eating, it is fresh, and much more budget friendly!

Since the AAP recommends waiting until baby is of six months, that's what we did. A baby's tummy is not ready before that, it is not able to absorb the food and digest it properly. Also, we went straight into foods. No rice cereal for him. I figured that if I am going to be giving him foods, it will be the real deal, no fillers here. Sometimes I mixed baby oatmeal into his food if he was having tummy issues.

Hope you (mostly your little one) enjoy these as much as we do!

Simple Purees
For these basic purees, I would steam everything, and then puree with the left over liquid.

Peel, chop, and core (if necessary) all of the vegetables and fruits. Steam, and then puree until very thin consistency. If too thick, mix with breastmilk (or water).

Carrots
Sweet Potato
Apples- (We like the Honeycrisp apples the best, but any that your baby prefers are fine.)
Pears

** When introducing solids, it is recommended that you wait three days before trying another food. **

A Step Up Purees
These purees are more advanced, have more texture as well as flavors. I started introducing these in the seventh-eighth month.

Peel and chop the vegetables. Steam until tender. Mash so it is a thicker consistency. If too thick for baby, mix in breastmilk (or water).

Rutabaga, Potato

Carrots, Parsnip, Sweet Potato

Broccoli, Spinach, Apple

Carrot, Greenbean, Potato

Butternut Squach, Pumpkin

Apple, Pear, Peach

Mango, Peach

Corn, Sweet Peas, Carrot

Sweet Potato, Kale

1/4 Cup of Rolled Oats, 1/2 Cup Soy Milk, 6 Dried apricots chopped- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to mixer, and blend until smooth.

Finger Foods
When Daniel was about 8 months old, we started Baby- Led Weaning. He loves being able to feed himself and explore the new foods. We started this a t 8 months, because that is when meats and spices are acceptable to introduce.

Rutabaga- Peeled and chopped. Toss with Olive Oil and ground Coriander. Roast at 400 for about 20-25 minutes, until tender. Let cool before serving.

Carrots, Sweet Potato- Peeled and chopped. Toss with Olive Oil and Allspice. Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes, until tender. Let cool before serving.

Apples- Peeled, cored, and chopped. Toss with butter (we use Earth Balance), and Cinnamon. Roast at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Pears- Make sure they are ripe! Peeled and chopped. Served fresh!!

Toast- Spread with butter, or fruit.

Chicken- Rub with Olive Oil and a mixture of spices. We like Sage, Cumin, Coriander, Allspice, or Cinnamon. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, until cooked all the way. Shred or chop and cool before serving.

Ground turkey- Over medium-high heat, brown turkey until throughly cooked. He likes his turkey seasoned with any of the above seasonings.

Smoothies

Spinach, Pear, Soymilk

Banana, Kale, Strawberry, Soymilk

*If you have any questions, feel free to comment here!*

No comments:

Post a Comment